Making a complaint

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC)

People wishing to enquire about or make a complaint of discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation, racial or religious vilification may contact VEOHRC. You can phone VEOHRC or live chat to someone via VEOHRC’s website ( These services are available from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday. Complaints can also be lodged through VEOHRC’s website. VEOHRC has also published a Victorian discrimination law resource, Victorian Discrimination Law, that explains the EO Act and the RRT Act in detail and considers relevant case law. This resource is available on VEOHRC’s website and at For VEOHRC’s contact details, see Contacts”.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

Under the EO Act, you can choose to take your complaint to VEOHRC for dispute resolution or apply to VCAT for dispute resolution and to have your complaint heard in a public hearing. Applications to VCAT can be lodged online. For VCAT’s contact details, see Contacts”.

Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC)

Complaints of racial, disability, age and sex discrimination under the Commonwealth Acts (listed above) should be made in writing. A complaint form is available on the AHRC’s website ( For the AHRC’s contact details, see Contacts”.

Fair Work Ombudsman

The Fair Work Ombudsman can provide information about options to pursue matters of employment discrimination action under the FW Act. A translating and interpreting service is available by phoning 13 14 50. For the Fair Work Ombudsman’s contact details, see Contacts”.