More information about aspects of disability –including relevant legislation, and disability related services – is contained in Understanding disability and the law.
Disability: asserting your rights has contact information for specialist legal services that deal with particular areas of disability, and on advocacy services that assist people with disabilities.
Physical disability, Mental illness and Intellectual disability and the law contain more detailed coverage of the law relating to people with a physical, psychiatric and intellectual disability, respectively.
Guardianship and medical treatment, deals with issues of guardianship and administration affecting people with disabilities.
See also Understanding powers of attorney.
Contacts and resources
- Disability Advocacy Resource Unit (DARU)
- Disability Advocacy Victoria (DAV)
- Disability Discrimination Legal Service
- Disability Justice Advocacy
- Action on Disability within Ethnic Communities (ADEC)
- Association for Children with a Disability (ACD)
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- Physical Disability Australia
- Psychiatric Disability Services of Victoria (VICSERV)
- Senior Practitioner (Disability)
- Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with Disability (VALID)
- Victorian Disability Services Commissioner
- Villamanta Disability Rights Legal Service
- AED Legal Centre
- Action for More Independence and Dignity in Accommodation (AMIDA)
- Community Visitors
- STAR Victoria
- Victorian Government Department of Education and Training
- Wellways Australia
- Youth Disability Advocacy Service (YDAS)