Only credit providers can add information to credit reports. A “credit provider” is defined (in s 6G PA 1988) to include:
• a bank;
• an organisation that provides credit, if providing credit is a substantial part of the business;
• a retailer that issues credit cards in connection with the sale of goods or services;
• a business that provides credit in relation to the supply of goods or services where the repayment of the amount of credit is deferred for at least seven days (e.g. utilities companies and telecommunication providers);
• a business that provides credit related to hiring, leasing or renting goods where repayment is deferred for at least seven days;
• an assignee of a credit provider.
If a dispute arises about whether a particular entity can report information to a credit-reporting body, refer directly to the PA 1988.