General advice for family violence survivors

Call the police

If you need immediate assistance in a family violence situation, call the police on 000 anytime. They will attend and provide advice and assistance.

What the police can do

It is important to insist that the police take a formal statement of complaint. If it is an emergency, the police may issue a family violence safety notice that can include an exclusion condition, and they can detain a person to allow you time to apply for an intervention order.

All police stations have access to a family violence adviser, and there is a family violence liaison officer at all 24-hour police stations.

Police officers can charge a family violence perpetrator with criminal charges. If there is an existing safety notice or intervention order, the police can charge the perpetrator with breaching that notice or order.

Non-legal remedies

People who have experienced family violence should consider taking protective measures (e.g. changing locks, changing telephone numbers, screening calls, or moving house). Tell neighbours, schools, workplaces and local police that there may be trouble from your former partner.

Keep records

It is important that the person experiencing violence keeps a written and photographic record of all incidents (as this record can form the basis of an application or complaint). This record should include times, places, photographs of injuries, any witnesses, any medical attention received, and any contact with the police.