Julia Gibby, Solicitor
Imprisonment is the removal of a person’s right to freedom for a set period of time. The removal of this right does not mean that prisoners have no rights. Prisoners have many rights and the best way to ensure these rights are not violated is to know your rights.
This section includes the following topics:
- Victoria’s prison system
- Legislation and rules
- Prisons and residential facilities in Victoria
- Unsentenced and sentenced prisoners: the differences in prison
- What happens when a prisoner arrives at prison?
- Key administrative prison bodies
- Transfer of prisoners
- Post sentence orders
- Prisoners’ rights and remedies for breaches
- Making requests or complaints
- Communication, advice and support
- Prisoner offences
- Medical care
- Prisoner employment and other issues
- Release support
- Contacts: Imprisonment supervision and prisoner rights
A PDF of this chapter from The Law Handbook 2020 can be purchased for only $5.50. To purchase, visit the Fitzroy Legal Service online store.