Making a complaint

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC)

People wishing to enquire about or make a complaint of discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation, or vilification may contact the VEOHRC. You can phone the VEOHRC, or live chat to someone via the VEOHRC website (; these services are available from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday. Complaints can also be lodged through the VEOHRC website.

The VEOHRC has also published a Victorian discrimination law resource, called Victorian Discrimination Law, that explains the EO Act in detail and considers relevant case law; this is available on the VEOHRC website.

For the VEOHRC’s contact details, seeContacts”.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

Under the EO Act, you can choose to take your complaint to the VEOHRC for dispute resolution, or apply to VCAT for dispute resolution and to have your complaint heard in a public hearing. Applications to VCAT can be lodged online. For VCAT’s contact details, seeContacts”.

Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC)

Complaints of racial, disability, age and sex discrimination under the Commonwealth Acts (listed above) should be made in writing. A complaint form is available on the AHRC’s website ( For the AHRC’s contact details, seeContacts”.

Fair Work Ombudsman

The Fair Work Ombudsman can provide information about options to pursue matters of employment discrimination action under the FW Act.

A translating and interpreting service is available by phoning 13 14 50.

For the Fair Work Ombudsman’s contact details, seeContacts”.