Maelein Foo, Principal, Kane Lawyers
Significant differences exist between different titles (e.g. strata titles and off-the-plan titles). DIY conveyancing is risky. Mortgages are offered in many forms. The First Home Owners Grant has strict eligibility terms. Compare real estate agents’ costs when selling. Buyers should be prepared for auction tactics and signing the sale contract. Cooling-off applies but deposits can be forfeited if the contract is broken. Buyers must pay stamp duty and pay for caveats and Land Registry searches.
This section includes the following topics:
- Introduction; Buying or selling a house
- Land titles
- Finding the money to purchase a house
- Buying and selling
- Auctions and private treaties
- Common elements of a conveyancing transaction
- Goods and Services Tax
- Foreign ownership of property
- Conveyancers’ duties
- Vendor and buyer disputes
- Building density and the rise of off-the-plan sales
- Contacts: Buying or selling a house
A PDF of this chapter from The Law Handbook 2019 can be purchased for only $5.50. To purchase, visit the Fitzroy Legal Service online store.