Lachlan Edwards,, Managing Lawyer, Cat Newton, Senior Policy Officer, Consumer Action Law Centre.
Bankruptcy is a legal financial status that can have positive and negative effects. It is strongly recommended that a debtor who is considering bankruptcy seek advice from an independent and qualified source. Bankruptcy can affect a person’s ability to get credit and employment opportunities.
This section includes the following topics:
- What is bankruptcy?
- Who can be made bankrupt?
- Who administers the bankruptcy law?
- What happens to the bankrupt’s property?
- What happens to the bankrupt’s income?
- The effect of bankruptcy on debts
- Leaving Australia
- Process of going bankrupt
- When does bankruptcy end?
- Other procedures under the Act
A PDF of this chapter from The Law Handbook 2018 can be purchased for only $5.50. To purchase, visit the Fitzroy Legal Service online store.