Helen Verrier, Senior Associate, Allens
Patrick Easton, Associate, Allens
Commonwealth agencies must publish information about their operations and also release documents upon request under freedom of information unless they are absolutely or conditionally exempt. Reasons must be given and refusals can be disputed by complaint, first to the AIC then on appeal to the AAT. Inspection is free and fixed charges apply to copies of documents. A separate freedom of information scheme applies to state government agencies.
This section includes the following topics:
- Commonwealth freedom of information legislation
- Commonwealth freedom of information: accessing documents
- Commonwealth freedom of information: outcomes of requests and costs
- Commonwealth freedom of information: access by others and complaints
- Victorian freedom of information legislation
- More information
A PDF of this chapter from The Law Handbook 2018 can be purchased for only $5.50. To purchase, visit the Fitzroy Legal Service online store.