General advice for victims

If you need immediate assistance in a family violence situation, call the police on 000 anytime. They will attend and provide advice and assistance.

Non-legal remedies

People who have experienced family violence should consider taking protective measures (e.g. changing locks, changing telephone numbers, screening calls, or moving house). Tell neighbours and local police that there may be trouble from your former partner.

Keep records

Whether pursuing relief from family violence under civil and/or criminal law, it is important that the family member experiencing violence keeps a written and photographic record of all incidents (as this record can form the basis of an application or complaint). This record should include times and places, photographs of injuries, any witnesses, any medical attention received, and any contact with the police.

What the police can do

It is important to insist that the police take a formal statement of complaint. If it is an emergency, the police may issue a family violence safety notice that can include an exclusion condition, and they can detain a person to allow you time to apply for an intervention order.

Often the police will apply for an intervention order for you. All police districts have a Family Violence Adviser, and there is a Family Violence Liaison Officer at all 24-hour police stations who can help you.

If the police believe it is a serious case of family violence, they can charge the perpetrator with criminal charges. If there is a safety notice or intervention order already in place, police can also charge the perpetrator with breaching that notice or order.