Richard Edney, Barrister
Imprisonment is the removal of a person’s right to freedom for a set period of time. The removal of this right does not mean that prisoners have no rights. Prisoners have many rights and the best way to ensure these rights are not violated is to know your rights.
This section includes the following topics:
- An introduction to our prison system
- Relevant legislation
- Remand and sentenced prisoners
- Prisons in Victoria
- The prison system
- Prisoners’ rights and remedies for breaches of rights
- Making requests or complaints
- Communication, advice and support
- Offences in prison
- Medical care
- Prisoner rights: employment and other issues
- Support for exiting prisoners
The law in this chapter is current as at 30 June 2016.
A PDF of this chapter from The Law Handbook 2018 can be purchased for only $5.50. To purchase, visit the Fitzroy Legal Service online store.