Jessica Richter, Solicitor
Victorians have the right to represent themselves in court. The decision should be made only after carefully considering your options. Free legal advice is available from Victoria Legal Aid. When deciding whether or not to self-represent, ask or read about the court or tribunal you are going to appear in.
This section includes the following topics:
- Attending court: your options
- Preparing to represent yourself
- Representing yourself in a criminal case in the Magistrates’ Court
- Representing yourself in a civil case
- Representing yourself in a family law case
- Learn more about various courts and tribunals
A PDF of this chapter from The Law Handbook 2018 can be purchased for only $5.50. To purchase, visit the Fitzroy Legal Service online store.