Supporting your complaint


It is critical to act promptly and carefully record the details of the complaint as well as taking down contact details for witnesses, getting legal advice, taking photos, and seeing a doctor or forensic medical officer if there have been any injuries.

If you decide to make a complaint against member(s) of Victoria Police, you should make your version of events as credible as possible by taking the following steps.

1 Act promptly

Make your complaint quickly (subject to the issues raised in this chapter).

2 Make a record of the event

If you do not lodge your complaint straightaway, make a detailed record (in writing or as an audio recording) as soon as possible after the event. Include all your recollections of what occurred in as much detail as you can. If you record the event in writing, sign and date what you have written and, if you can, get someone else to witness this. If possible, record the names, ranks and badge numbers of the police officers involved in the incident. It is also useful to describe in detail the appearance of anyone involved in the incident, including police officers. This can make a big difference later when it is not always easy to identify who did what and who was present. If you need to recount a conversation, do it as accurately as you can, using the actual words spoken, in the “I said”, “he said”, style.

3 Make a note of witnesses

Write down the names and descriptions of any people who witnessed the event and, if you are able to, encourage them to write down or record what they saw.

4 Contact a lawyer

Contact a lawyer who is experienced in dealing with police complaints. Discuss the appropriateness of lodging your complaint with the Police Conduct Unit, wth IBAC, or with a senior police officer at your nearest police station. If you do not know a lawyer experienced in handling police complaints, you can consult a community legal centre (see Legal services that can help).

If you have injuries, before contacting a lawyer, you should get photographs of your injuries and obtain a medical record of your injuries (see points 5 and 6 below). You should make a note of who saw you immediately before you went into police custody and who you saw immediately afterwards; these people can corroborate that you did not have the injuries before you went into police custody and that you did have them straight after you left the police. Try to get these people to write an account of what they recall.

5 Get photographs of any injuries

Get photographs of your injuries straightaway after the event and a few days afterward when the bruises have come out. Make sure the photographs are focused and in perspective. If you go to IBAC or the Police Conduct Unit, they can arrange for a photographer to take pictures of your injuries.

6 Obtain a medical record of any injuries

If you have any injuries, report what happened to a doctor. Try to ensure that the doctor makes a record of all your injuries. Again, if you go quickly to IBAC or the Police Conduct Unit, they can arrange for a Forensic Medical Officer (FMO) to examine you. FMOs are doctors from the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine who specialise in examining injuries, and can be of great assistance because of their experience in such matters. Community legal centres can also assist you to locate a FMO (see Legal services that can help).