Other supported and independent accommodation


Other kinds of supported and independent accommodation for older people are generally provided on a private basis. They include supported residential services and independent living units or serviced apartments in retirement villages, which are regulated under state legislation.

Supported residential services

Providers of supported residential services (SRSs) in Victoria are now regulated by the (the Supported Residential Services (Private Proprietors) Act 2010 (Vic) (“SRS Act”) and Supported Residential Services (Private Proprietors) Regulations 2012 (Vic). The purpose of these laws is to protect the safety and wellbeing of residents by establishing minimum standards for the accommodation and care provided in these facilities.

Section 5(1) of the SRS Act defines a SRS as premises where accommodation and personal support are privately provided or offered for persons for fee or reward, whether or not the premises are registered under the Act, but does not include a residential care service or a state funded residential care service.

For further information about SRSs, visit the Victorian Department of Health’s website.

Supported Residential Services Program

Victorian Department of Health

Tel: 9096 7467

Email: srs@health.vic.gov.au

Web: www.health.vic.gov.au/srs

The Office of the Public Advocate provides a Community Visitors Program. Community Visitors are volunteers who are appointed for an inquiry role into the standard of facilities and care provided by SRSs to residents. They can receive complaints from residents and follow them up. For further information, seeCommunity Visitors Program” in Disability: asserting your rights, and “Contacts” in Understanding disability and the law, or visit the website www.publicadvocate.vic.gov.au.