Where to get assistance


There are many places to get assistance to stand up for your rights or resolve a complaint about mental health services. See also “Contacts and Resources” in Understanding disability and the law.

Legal and other advocacy services

For detailed information about assistance available from the Office of the Public Advocate, Community Visitors, equal opportunity commissions and specialist disability legal services, see Disability: asserting your rights.

Mental Health Tribunal

The Mental Health Tribunal provides information about its role and functions, how to apply for revocation of an order and the hearing process itself (including practice notices) on its website at www.mht.vic.gov.au.

Chief Psychiatrist

The Chief Psychiatrist’s role is focused on providing clinical leadership and advice to public mental health services to ensure delivery of quality mental health services. SeeContacts” in Understanding disability and the law.

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner

The Mental Health Complaints Commissioner is responsible for resolving complaints about mental health service providers.

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner

Level 26, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne Vic 3000

Tel: 1800 246 054

Email: info@mhcc.vic.gov.au

Web: www.mhcc.vic.gov.au

Health Services Commissioner

The Health Services Commissioner can investigate and help resolve complaints about health care providers in Victoria, including mental health and psychiatric services. For more information, see isability: asserting your rights, and Privacy and your rights.

Both the Chief Psychiatrist and Health Services Commissioner must act compatibly with human rights in making decisions.