Where to get help


A range of organisations can assist if you are building or renovating a house.

Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria

The new Victorian Government service, the Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria (DBDRV) commenced operating on 26 April 2017. This service replaced the Building Advice and Conciliation Victoria (BACV).

Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria (DBDRV)

Tel: 1300 557 559

Web: htps://dbdrv.vic.gov.au

Victorian Building Authority

On 1 July 2013, the Building Commission was replaced with the Victorian Building Authority (VBA). In 2014, the VBA also replaced the Architects’ Registration Board, and took over the task of regulating architects.

Like its predecessor, the VBA is a statutory authority that oversees building legislation, regulates building practices, advises government and provides services to industry and consumers. The VBA regulates the Victorian building industry, administers the registration of Victorian building practitioners and monitors their conduct, administers building legislation, accredits building products and construction methods and advises government on building policy.

Since 1 September 2016, the VBA’s functions have been significantly expanded to include the powers and responsibilities of the (former) Building Practitioners’ Board.

The VBA now has the power to intervene on a building site and issue directions to a builder to fix or repair work. The VBA can also secure an enforceable undertaking from a builder, which can require a builder to do a specified thing or refrain from doing it, or to pay the owner a sufficient sum to undertake repairs or complete work. An enforceable undertaking may act as an alternative to disciplinary action against the builder.

The VBA website is very useful for those contemplating building and renovation work; it provides technical and regulatory advice and practical hints.

Victorian Building Authority (VBA)

Goods Shed North, 733 Bourke Street, Docklands Vic 3008

Tel: 1300 815 127

Web: www.vba.vic.gov.au

Building Practitioners’ Board

The Building Practitioners’ Board was abolished on 1 September 2016. Its functions have been transferred to the VBA. The Building Practitioners’ Board will finish managing matters already referred to it, but will not take on any new complaints.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

For information on the role of VCAT in resolving domestic building disputes, seeDisputes”.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

55 King Street, Melbourne Vic 3000

Web: www.vcat.vic.gov.au

Civil Claims List:

Tel: 9628 9830; 1800 133 055

Email: vcat-civil@vcat.vic.gov.au

Building and Property List:

Tel: 9628 9999

Email: vcat-civil@vcat.vic.gov.au