Further information: advice and contacts



Tenants Union of Victoria

Membership of the Tenants Union of Victoria (TUV) is open to all tenants in Victoria. TUV works on projects and campaigns to advance the interests of tenants and offers advice services to tenants and rooming house and caravan park residents. The TUV also takes on some casework. TUV can provide advice by phone, email or through their drop-in service.

Parties seeking general advice should first consult TUV’s fact sheets on the website. TUV also has practice notes for lawyers that contain more detailed information; these can be found under the “Practice resources” tab on TUV’s website.

Generally, TUV does not advise in relation to neighbourhood disputes, co-tenancy disputes or inter-tenant disputes or personal injury claims.

Tenants Union of Victoria

55 Johnston Street, Fitzroy Vic 3065

Tel (admin): 9411 1444

Tel (tenants help line): 9416 2577

Email: admin@tuv.org.au

Web: www.tuv.org.au

Telephone advice: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9 am–4 pm; Wednesday, 12:30–7:30 pm

Drop-in advice: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9 am–4.30 pm; Wednesday, 12:30–7:30 pm

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) is able to provide general information to all parties covered by the RT Act. CAV can also:

give information on any residential tenancy matters;

investigate tenants’, residents’ or landlords’ complaints;

independently investigate a rooming house without application by a resident;

negotiate settlements between landlords and tenants; and

advise landlords about disposal of unclaimed property.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

GPO Box 123, Melbourne Vic 3001

Tel (consumer help line): 1300 558 181 (Monday–Friday, 9 am–5 pm)

Web: www.consumer.vic.gov.au

CAV has offices in metropolitan and regional Victoria; see the website for office contact details.

Residential Tenancies Bond Authority

The Residential Tenancies Bond Authority holds all Victorian residential tenancy bonds, including those on rented premises, long-term caravans and rooming houses. Bonds are held in a neutral capacity, in trust for landlords and tenants, giving all parties equal say on how bonds should be repaid when tenancies end.

Residential Tenancies Bond Authority

Locked Bag 007, Wendouree Vic 3355

Tel: 1300 137 164

Email: rtba@justice.vic.gov.au

Web: www.rentalbonds.vic.gov.au

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

55 King Street, Melbourne Vic 3000

Web: www.vcat.vic.gov.au

Residential Tenancies List:

Tel: 9628 9800; 1800 133 055

Email: vcat-rt@justice.vic.gov.au


MoneyHelp is managed by the Consumer Action Law Centre and provides free, confidential and independent financial advice to Victorians. It offers a financial counselling and debt advice service for those experiencing financial difficulty as a result of, for example, job loss or reduced working hours, or those experiencing difficulty with housing payments such as rent. Note that the MoneyHelp service does not provide cash.


Tel (counselling service): 1800 007 007 (Monday–Friday, 9.30 am–5.00 pm)

Web: www.moneyhelp.org.au

Office of Housing repairs and maintenance call centre

Tenants of the Office of Housing wishing to request repairs should contact the repairs and maintenance call centre. The tenant should ask for a Scheduled Contract Number (SC order) that is a record of the phone call.

Office of Housing

Tel (housing call centre): 13 11 72

Web: www.housing.vic.gov.au

Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria

The Energy and Water Ombudsman (EWOV), among other powers, has jurisdiction to investigate and assist to resolve disputes between consumers and energy, gas and water retailers. EWOV does not generally assist with regard to physical faults to piping, cabling or facilities after the utility meter unless it is an emergency.

Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria

Reply Paid 469, Melbourne Vic 3060

Tel: 1800 500 509

Email: ewov@ewov.com.au

Web: www.ewov.com.au

The Housing Registrar

The Housing Registrar registers and regulates agencies that are not-for-profit organisations that own, manage and develop affordable rental housing for low-income households. Complaints may be made to the Housing Registrar only after a formal complaint has been lodged with the registered housing provided. For more information contact:

Housing Registrar

Level 5, 1 Treasury Place, East Melbourne Vic 3002

Tel: 9651 1402

Email: housingregistrar@dtf.vic.gov.au

Web: www.housingregistrar.vic.gov.au

Energy Safe Victoria

Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) is the independent technical regulator responsible for electricity, gas and pipeline safety in Victoria. ESV have a team of investigators and also licence and register electricians, and issue and audit Certificates of Electrical Safety, which guarantee that electrical work has been performed by a qualified electrician.

Energy Safe Victoria

Level 5, Building 2, 4 Riverside Quay, Southbank Vic 3006

Tel: 1800 800 158; 9203 9700

Email: info@esv.gov.au

Web: www.esv.vic.gov.au

Supreme Court Self-represented Litigant Coordinator

Victorian Building Authority

Tel: 1300 815 127

Web: www.vba.vic.gov.au

Crisis accommodation

Tel: 1800 825 955

(For people experiencing family violence or homelessness)