International agreements


International pension agreements allow residents who move from or to Australia from one of these countries to qualify for some pensions in the destination country without meeting the normal residential requirements. International agreements are found in the Social Security (International Agreements) Act 1999 (Cth).

Formal agreements exist between Australia and Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece/Hellenic Republic, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Macedonia, Malta, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland and the USA.

The Agreement with the United Kingdom ended on 1 March 2001. For information on claiming UK Pensions, paying voluntary contributions or other matters relating to UK social security, visit the website of HM Revenue and Customs or Department for Work and Pensions or The Pensions Service.

These agreements do not apply to all social security payments. This is a complex area and any specific queries should be taken to a community legal centre, Victoria Legal Aid or a solicitor. See Legal services that can help, for a listing of community legal centres.