Deborah Foy, Barrister
Adoption is legally regulated in Victoria. The primary objective of adoption is to provide a safe, loving family for a child who cannot be cared for by their birth family. Another permanent arrangement for the care of a non-biological child is a permanent care order made by the Children’s Court.
This section includes the following topics:
- Legislation, regulations and rules
- Common adoption situations
- Placing a child for adoption
- Who can adopt?
- The use of family court orders
- Adoption information services
A PDF of this chapter from The Law Handbook 2017 can be purchased for only $5.50. To purchase, visit the Fitzroy Legal Service online store.