Is sex work legal?


In Victoria, under the SW Act, sex work can legally be carried out under licensing conditions applicable to brothels, escort agencies and small owner-operated businesses. The sex worker must be over 18 and choose to provide sexual services.

To engage in legal sex work activity, you must register with the Business Licensing Authority (BLA) and receive a sex worker number. This is known as being an exempt sex work service provider. You can work independently as a private escort or jointly with another sex-worker, this is known as a small owner-operated business. You cannot see clients at your home. You can also work in a licensed escort agency or brothel.

To maintain your registration as a sex worker, you must lodge an annual statement with the BLA confirming your intention to keep working. If you do not lodge your registration it will be recorded as “not current” and you will be unable to work legally. To have your information removed from the register of exempt sex work service providers you must apply to deregister.

It is illegal to force someone to participate in sex work. Street sex work is unlawful as is working in a premise that does not have a planning permit from the local council. You also cannot work without being registered with the BLA or work in unlicensed brothels or escort agencies. (For more information about these offences, seeCriminal offences and penalties”.)

To operate a brothel or escort agency you must apply to the BLA. Brothels must have a planning permit issued by the local council to operate under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic).