Victoria Legal Aid


This section provides a listing of Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) offices throughout Victoria. Advice is provided for free over the telephone or in person. VLA provides also free duty lawyers at many courts and tribunals who may be able to assist you.

Legal help

Tel: 1300 792 387


Melbourne metro (head office)

350 Queen Street, Melbourne Vic 3000

Tel: 9269 0234

Suburban offices


Level 1, Building 1, Broadmeadows Station Centre,

1100 Pascoe Vale Road, Broadmeadows Vic 3047

Tel: 9302 8777


Level 1, 9–15 Pultney Street, Dandenong Vic 3175

Tel: 9767 7111


Cnr O’Grady Avenue and Dandenong Road, Frankston Vic 3199

Tel: 9784 5222


23 Ringwood Street, Ringwood Vic 3134

Tel: 9259 5444


Level 1, 474 Ballarat Road, Sunshine Vic 3020

Tel: 9300 5333

Regional offices


87A Main Street, Bairnsdale Vic 3875

Tel: 5153 1975


Area A, Level 1

75 Victoria Street, Ballarat Vic 3350

Tel: 5329 6222; 1800 081 719


424 Hargreaves Street, Bendigo Vic 3550

Tel: 5448 2333; 1800 254 500


Level 2, 199 Moorabool Street, Geelong Vic 3220

Tel: 5226 5666; 1800 196 200


29 Darlot Street, Horsham Vic 3400

Tel: 5381 6000; 1800 177 638


2 Chapel Street, Morwell Vic 3840

Tel: 5134 8055


36–42 High Street, Shepparton Vic 3630

Tel: 5823 6200


185 Fairy Street, Warrnambool Vic 3280

Tel: 5559 7222; 1800 651 022

Duty lawyer services

Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) provides duty lawyers at many courts and tribunals across Victoria. This service is free. However, duty lawyers do not represent everyone. Call VLA’s Legal Help (free legal advice phone line) on 1300 792 387 before your court date to find out if a duty lawyer can help you and what assistance they can provide. Duty lawyers may be able to assist with the matters listed below.

Children’s Court

At the Children’s Court, a duty lawyer can help you with:

criminal law matters;

child protection applications;

family violence and personal safety intervention orders.

Magistrates’ Court

At the Magistrates’ Court, a duty lawyer can help you with:

adult criminal law matters;

serious traffic matters;

family violence matters and intervention orders;

some infringement matters (if you have special circumstances).

Mental Health Tribunal

At the Mental Health Tribunal, a duty lawyer can help you with:

involuntary treatment orders;

community treatment orders.

Family Court

At the Family Court, a duty lawyer can help you with family law matters.

Federal Circuit Court

At the Federal Circuit Court, a duty lawyer can help you with:

family law matters;

child support;

some immigration matters.

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

At VCAT, a duty lawyer can help you with:

guardianship and administration matters;

residential tenancy matters (tenants only);

anti-discrimination matters;

some civil claims matters.

Administrative Appeals Tribunal

At the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, a duty lawyer can help you with:

Veterans’ Affairs matters;

social security matters;

some immigration matters.