How to make a complaint


Complaints can be oral or in writing. Written complaints need to be carefully made and absolutely correct in case they contradict other evidence. Perjury is a risk in sworn statements.

Your complaint can be made orally or in writing. If in writing, it can be in the form of a letter, a statement, or you can fill in IBAC’s complaint form (which is available online at If made orally, the IBAC, PSC or police officer will put the substance of your complaint into a written statement.

You need to be especially careful of any complaint that is in writing, particularly if you swear that it is true and correct, because you could render yourself liable to the offence of perjury if you make significant mistakes or if you contradict yourself in other statements made earlier or later.

Make sure that a written statement includes as many details as possible and is absolutely correct. Do not tolerate any departure in a written statement from your oral account. If necessary, ask the IBAC, PSC or police officer to alter your statement, even if this is inconvenient. It is very important for you to get your statement absolutely right.